Tastes Like Home: In-N-Out Burger Copycat Recipe


They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, and I think that statement can definitely be applied to culinary treats that remind you of home. Last week I kicked off my Tastes Like Home series with a copycat recipe from my favorite NYC sub shop, Jersey Mikes. And in the comments, I got challenged by my sister who lives in Los Angeles to make an In-N-Out burger in my Oxford kitchen. This is one of my favorite burgers in America, so naturally I accepted.

What's in the original (full recipe found at yourhomebasedmom.com):
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions finely chopped
salt, pepper
1/4 C mayo
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
1/2 tsp white vinegar
2 lbs. ground chuck (60%)
4 hamburger buns pickles
1 C shredded iceberg lettuce
4-8 slices of tomato
8 slices of American cheese

What I found at the British grocery store instead:

  • Pickle relish doesn't exist here. It's my new favorite game to ask the grocery store employees where items are because I'm guaranteed at least one "what is that?" a visit. The poor stock boy spent five minutes looking around for this and researching it on the computer before telling me they didn't have it.
  • American cheese obviously doesn't exist here either. So I just used cheddar and it worked out just fine.
Step 1: Caramelize onions



Step 2: Make the secret sauce by mixing mayo, ketchup, vinegar, and relish (if you're lucky enough to have that).

The picture of the sauce didn't come out, so instead, check out these cute dancing ketchup bottles.

Step 3: Salt and pepper the patties and cook for 3-5 minutes; flip, top with cheese, and continue cooking until it's done. 



Step 4: Spread secret sauce on toasted bun, then the lettuce and tomato, patty, and onions (in that order)



Step 5: Enjoy!

I can't believe it, but this was one of the best burgers we've ever made at home, and it definitely reminded me of the In-N-Out burger. Until I can get back to LA to visit my family, this will surely do! 

What other recipes should we try to recreate? Would love your ideas!





4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Now, get your booty back to the States so you can make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a hamburger aficionado but these look delicious! Makes me want to drive over to In-N-Out for a burger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! And please get the animal-style fries for me! :)

      Delete