Throwback Thursday: Birthdays Then Vs. Now


I came across this pic when I was making our rehearsal dinner slideshow earlier this year. This is a picture of a girl on a mission. I don't know how old I was (I'm really bad with figuring out kids' ages--my seven-year-old nephew could be five or fourteen, I'd have no idea), but judging by the double ponytails and OshKosh B'Gosh overalls, I'd say it was circa 1990, so I was probably six. (Editor's note: I realized after I wrote this that there are five candles on the cake so I'm pretty sure that represents my age. #fail)

To me, this is the quintessential birthday pic. I mean, look at that intense face--I wonder what I was wishing for. Whatever it was, I wanted it bad. I've got my friend behind me (I have no idea who that girl is, by the way), a delicious-looking cake, and presents! Life is good. 

Isn't it funny, though, how the older you get, the less exciting birthdays are? For the past five years I haven't really done anything to celebrate besides going out to dinner. And that's the plan for today, too. But this year is different--this is the first time in a long time that I'm actually excited about my bday. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a milestone year (yay 30!) and we're celebrating with a trip to Paris this weekend (my first time!) 

All of this reflection on birthdays past, though, has got me thinking about how your feelings about birthdays change through the years. So, I put together a little list to show how they really differ:

The Best Part About Birthdays...
In your childhood -- All the presents
In your teens -- Having your crush acknowledge your big day <3
In your 20s -- Getting free drinks at the bar
In your 30s -- Reading all the Facebook wall posts from your friends

Your Biggest Worry About Parties...
In your childhood -- That your friends will have to leave early
In your teens -- That no one will show up
In your 20s -- That people won't have fun 
In your 30s -- That someone will plan a surprise party for you (you just want to celebrate in peace, dammit)

Your Birthday Dessert of Choice…
In your childhood -- Cake, obviously
In your teens -- Pie, cookies, canoli... anything to show you're different from everyone else
In your 20s -- A birthday cake shot
In your 30s -- Can you just stick a candle in that delicious bread?

Cheers to 30! :) I wonder what that little girl up there would be thinking if she saw me now. I hope I've made her proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment