Weekend Adventures: Battle of the Top Chefs

The idea was to create a Chopped or Cutthroat Kitchen type of cooking challenge where we'd give the boys certain ingredients and a time limit to cook a fun dish, but it ultimately just turned into an amazing double date with two main courses and a lot of wine…


On Saturday, Christopher and I had a dinner party with our next door neighbors Greg and Aleks. I've been hearing how Greg is a master in the kitchen, and I am obviously a pretty big fan of C's cooking, so Aleks and I thought it'd be fun to have the guys go head-to-head in a cook-off, but there's a reason we're not producers for the Food Network. It just turned into a make-what-you-want main with no time limit kind of night, and really, it was perfect!

Christopher made his signature dish gnocchi with sundried tomato pesto while Greg wowed us with a homemade Indian-style butter chicken. OMG. They were both so delicious. Although, the guys didn't really understand our instructions on making it a tasting-sized portion, so everyone was more than stuffed at the end of the night.


Our Top Chefs
After dinner, we played Perudo -- it's like a dice version of the card game BS, but this one has so much more math involved! I still have no idea how I won the first round. Honestly, I still really don't know how to play.

We ended the night with a few scoops of ice cream (as if we weren't already so full) and parted ways, doing the long commute all the way across the hall.

When Christopher and I first moved to Oxford, I was terrified we weren't going to have nights like this. Making new friends is so hard to do from scratch, especially at this age (so jealous of those 5-year-olds who can compliment another girl on her bow and become best friends for life--if only it were that easy!) I feel like this year is going to be full of adventures but I think it's nights like this that we're going to cherish the most.

Have you ever lived abroad? Do you still keep in touch with the friends you made?

Want to be notified each day a new post goes live? Click here to subscribe to Across The Ponderings!

No comments:

Post a Comment