New York, I Love (and Miss!) You...


When you live in New York, being away from the city for even just a long vacation leaves you feeling antsy and out of your element. You mean to tell me not every place in the world has cab drivers who tell you the meaning of life and all-you-can-drink brunch? It's been over seven months since I had to blatantly ignore the Mariachi band on the subway during my commute to work (anytime but morning guys… come on!) or wait in a line that wrapped all the way around the block at Trader Joe's (sometimes you just gotta stock up…), but quite frankly, I miss it.

Here are some other things about NYC that have me a little homesick for the best city in the world:

1. Dunkin' Donuts -- This one goes out especially to the adorable worker who always greeted me with a smile before work, had my iced coffee order ready without even asking me before I got to the checkout, and sometimes threw a free donut at me. I miss her so much! <3


2. Street Performers -- From the breakdancing teens who create a crowd so big you have to walk out of your way (I'd be annoyed if Michael Jackson wasn't blasting from the boom box…) to the jazz player outside your office providing some fun background noise for your afternoon project, there's culture everywhere you turn.


3. Five Dumplings For a Dollar -- Enough said…



4. Taxis That Show Up When You Need Them -- They just arrive when you put your hand up in the air. It's like magic.


5. Views Like This -- Just casually taken from one of my former offices (at the Empire State Building(!)) during a late night at work.


6. Delivery At Any Time of The Day -- You don't even have to change out of your pajamas or leave the house if you don't want to.

 
7. Bagels! -- Scones are great and all, but I miss these amazing things smothered in veggie cream cheese.
 
 
There are a thousand other things I miss, especially seeing my friends in person. But, we'll be reunited in five months. I'm conflicted because I'm having so much fun in Oxford that I don't want to wish any days away, but I also can't wait to go back home and see everyone (including those subway performers everyone rolls their eyes at but secretly loves.) 
 
I love you, New York! We'll be reunited soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment