Fun Reads: October 17, 2014


Coming up with topics every week for this blog is sometimes tough, but there are tons of articles out there with blog prompts for this very purpose. And today, I came across one that suggested, "Write about the bravest person you know." That's easy--it's my mom. Through the years, I've written many articles about her ridiculously amazing strength when it came to fighting breast cancer when I was in high school. She is all better now, and ever the optimist, she claims it actually changed her life for the better. I feel like it changed mine too. Seeing someone you love so much go through something like that makes you never take time and people for granted again.

As you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so I thought it'd be nice to dedicate this week's Fun Reads to the cause in honor of the bravest person I know.

I was super excited when Teen Vogue asked me to write an article for them about what teens need to know about breast cancer. I interviewed the founder of breastcancer.org and actually learned a lot of things I wish I would have known when I was younger. Please share with any young girls in your life (and I promise I'm not saying that for self-promotion but because I genuinely think it's important.)

One woman wrote down a list of 45 life lessons after being diagnosed with breast cancer the day before her 45th birthday. This list is so inspiring and universal that everyone -- even those who have never even been touched by breast cancer -- can appreciate it.

You'll probably also be able to appreciate this woman's open letter about why she doesn't breast feed, which has now gone viral. It's crazy how quick-to-judge some people are before knowing all the facts.

BCAM is also about raising money for breast cancer research. Refinery29 has a good roundup of 25 cute fashion items that benefit organizations working to combat the disease.

And research is important, as you'll find in this article from the Huffington Post which shows the latest potentially life-saving findings that have been published from researchers around the world.

Have you seen or heard any other interesting stories about breast cancer awareness this month? Share in the comments below!

Want to be notified each day a new post goes live? Click here to subscribe to Across The Ponderings!

No comments:

Post a Comment